Sunday, October 14, 2007

fun weekend

I know, another sunset. I couldn't help it. Who knows, I might have to start every entry with one :)
It was a fun filled weekend in CV, being Fort Verde Days and all. We started it off with a softball tournament Fri. night and Sat. morning. Eric and I got onto a coed team for the weekend. Since we had never played together as a team(that's the excuse I'm going with), we could have done a lot better. We got slaughtered in all three games we played, but had a lot of fun and met some nice folks. It was fun to swing the bat again.
After our games on Saturday, we watched the kids rodeo. We missed the really little(2-5) kids doing sheep riding, but made it for the calf, steer, and junior bull riders. OH MY GOSH, this is the wild west out here, and this stuff is for real. Even the calf riding is hairy. When the riders fall off, they can get stomped on, kicked, or run up against the fence. It is a little like watching a car wreck, but way more entertaining. No one got hurt(knock, knock), and only two people had to get looked at by the paramedics(I think they got their wind knocked out). Between riders, the announcer and the guy who sets up the Bull Bash(all proceeds go to the wrestling team) do a nice little comedy act. Quite witty really. All the pics of bull riding are the juniors.
Let me digress for a moment. I refuse to go to a circus, because I feel they are cruel to the animals, so it may sound strange that I enjoyed the bull riding so much. I'm surprised myself. They are such powerful animals, and the people that ride and handle really respect them. I think the bulls even enjoy the fear they bring to humans a little. I guess it seems a little more fair this way. It also beats being on a dinner plate :) I'll probably have more thoughts later on this.
There was also a carnival going on, so after the kids rodeo, it was off to spend large amounts of money on stupid games and mediocre rides. The boys had fun, so I guess it's all worth it. Good food, and craft booths are also part of the weekend, so there was not a boring moment. It was not exceptionally crowded either.
At 6:30, we headed back to the bleachers for the professional bull riding. The opening ceremony was very impressive, with a colonel, a couple soldiers, lots of flags, all the riders lined up, and a girl on a horse riding around the ring, carrying a flag while someone sang The Star Spangled Banner. I had taken the D70 home and exchanged it for a jacket. One of these days I learn to bring it everywhere!
Sunday we went back, to check out the mustang and burro adoption auction. People can adopt the wild animals for an opening bid of 125.00 at the silent auction. I am not in the market for wild animals, but they were cool to see. The horses. were gorgeous.
The auction took place on the grounds of Fort Verde, built in the early 1800's, to protect the settlers from Indian attacks. Now there is a museum, and a couple of original buildings. People dressed in period costumes are around to offer information and demonstrate various tools and weapons of that era. Pretty cool stuff. The boys liked the weapons. Did I mention this is right in town, about a mile from our house?


These guys have got to be crazy!

At least some of them wear helmets


The clowns are also heroes



That's the head honcho in the stripes




This bull is more our speed!





This was their favorite ride!






Now, onto the softball
Joel, our captain(sucker!), getting warmed up. Max is getting warm too.







We have to watch HOW MANY games?!








In the dugout Saturday morning









Joel and I traded between the mound and behind the plate. I think it was my first time playing catcher










Eric played third base.
October seems to be filled with outdoor activities around here. Now that the weather has cooled, everyone is out of hibernation. I'm looking forward to checking out more fun events, and will be sure to keep my camera with me.











3 comments:

TomC said...

Hi Sarah !

Looks like a great time at the Rodeo.

Keep you eye open for things to do in Prescott - another AZ Cowboy town.

In Dec (1st weekend) they have a Christmas parade which is good, also, on or around July 4th, they have a Rodeo too !

On your sky pics....

Don't apoligize !! There are lots of people in AZ looking at and taking pictures of the Sky. You do see the oranges and purples anywhere else !!

Also, next time you are in a sporting store, or a camping store, or something like a target, you might think about checking out the telescopes !!

If I remember correctly, you can get a pretty good one for not too many $$'s.

There are also some that you can attach a camera too. That of course would mean more buckos, but your going to be watching the AZ sky for a long time, and the pics that you get would be the kind that you would frame and hang on the wall !

Just a thought...

The Sky can become your hobby in AZ !!

sarahzona said...

We have a telescope. Not an expensive one, but the boys can operate it, and zero in on the moon.
Sometime I will invest in a good zoom lens for the pics. A wide angle would be nice too!

Robin said...

Hey! I'm glad you get to play softball.. maybe you can give me some catcher tips..lol