Sunday, October 7, 2007

maybe next year

When we were eating dinner in Jerome last night, the Cubs/D'backs game was on. 4-1 top of the eighth. I couldn't believe the Cubs were gonna get swept at Wrigley Field, but at the same time I could. And also at the same time, I was thinking that they could still win. Being a Cubs fan is a weird thing. For me, the emotional roller coaster of watching is sometimes too much. When they are in the running, it is just so intense. When they are in last place, or there is no hope of playoffs, watching a Cubs game is so much more relaxed for me. No pressure. No fantasizing of a World Series at Wrigley. No hope. Even last night, 4-1, top of the eighth, there was still hope for the Cubs to come out of that slump and win the series with the D'backs. Bottom of the ninth, 5-1, two outs with Soriano up to bat, there was a glimmer of hope. Then lights out, glimmer gone, and the Cubs we know and love are back again, getting swept in the first round of the playoffs at Wrigley Field. Maybe next year.
Go D'backs! (I think)

No comments: