Monday, January 14, 2008

forging ahead

So last week, I was busy at the new forge. G. Blue left a bucket of rebar scraps here, so I've been making letter openers and hearts. I love the idea of using garbage, being green an pc and all that. The smaller heart pendants were made from steel stock I bought, but I hope to find some thinner scraps I can use for them.
I fire up the forge in the morning to get the garage warmed up. I have been hammering for only a couple hours at a time, so I can work up my muscles:) After forging, I get to making the jewelry, either silver work, or stringing up the pendants.
I spent a good part of the day today photographing work, so I can submit my application to the Jerome Artist's Coop tomorrow. I will include the steel pieces and some felt work in my application.










6 comments:

TomC said...

Cool !

Now I know what you do.

Your things look very rustic so they will do well in AZ.

Have you seen the movie Castaway with Tom Hanks ?

In the very first scene in that movie they show a FedEx truck driving through the country somewhere in Texas (I think). The FedEx truck goes and goes and goes and finally arrives at a farm and pulls up next to the barn.

In the barn you can see a woman who is sculpting iron, and she points the FedEx guy to a package that has one of her works in it for delivery.

Anyway...That's the image of you that came to mind when I read this posting.

I think that the FedEx package was on its way to Russia when the plane crashes and Tom Hanks survives and spends the next 4 (or so) years on a island all alone. A great movie if you haven't seen it yet !

I wonder if there is a way for you to list your stuff somewhere on the internet so that it would be available to people in Russia.

Have you ever sold anything on eBay?

sarahzona said...

I'm just gonna start in Jerome and move on from there.

The steel work shown is brand new, and very different from my silver line of jewelry. I also have the felted wool work, which I am trying to incorporate some steel into as well. Jewelry was a good place to start for me though.

We just watched Castaway(again) a couple weeks ago. The woman did cool wing sculptures in metal. My shop is not as well equipped as heres yet, but I did get a barely used welder this last week from a woman at school.
I'm not a big fan of Ebay, so I have not sold anything there. There are lots of sites that only sell handcrafted artwork, so at some point, I will investigate.

marezona said...

way cool jewelrey Sarazona!

I'm gonna have to have one of those hearts....

From Marezona

marezona said...

Cool Jewelry Sarahzona...gonna have to have one of those heart necklaces...I think Kathi will want one too.

From you pal, Marezona

marezona said...

oops...sorry I posted twice by accident....

marezona said...

way cool jewelrey Sarazona!

I'm gonna have to have one of those hearts....

From Marezona