Wednesday, January 23, 2008

rock hunting


While in flagstaff over the weekend, I bought a book mapping 100 day hikes in Sedona.
Eric and I went looking for one of the trails the other day. My minivan couldn't make it all the way down the dirt and rocky road, so we parked at a pull out and walked to this dry(almost) creek bed. Rocks that have been softened by the flow of water make nice jewelry. There were tons of rocks here, but the sandstone is extremely soft, so I have to be picky.
It's hard to tell in the photo, but the water is actually frozen. It probably thawed out by the afternoon. After it rains this weekend, the water should really be flowing for a couple days.
We are looking forward to checking out all the little hikes in the book! I am on a search for the good rock place. Right now, the weather is chilly, but nice in the sun, and the crowds are nonexistent. It will be interesting to see how that changes as spring arrives.

4 comments:

marezona said...

Lets go hikinkg!!!!! I'll look for rocks too!

Marezona!

sarahzona said...

Sounds good to me!!

TomC said...

sarah, any snow yet ?

sarahzona said...

Not in Camp verde, but there was snow at the higher elevations in Sedona last week.
We got a ton of rain here yesterday, so I'm guessing there's more snow in Sedona, and a TON in Flagstaff. We are going skiing tomorrow!! Snowfall has been great up there, and the Snowbowl has stayed open since mid Dec.