Wednesday, August 8, 2007

first day of school


OK, so I was doing pretty well adjusting to AZ life. We had gotten into somewhat of a rhythym-as much as one can in the lazy summer days. That is all out the window now. School started for the boys today. I'm sure they are fine and having a great day. I, on the other hand, am a little whacked out by the whole thing!

I think the school bus has a lot to do with it. I am used to walking to and from school with them-watching them enter and leave, and doing a little socializing on the playground. There was none of that this morning. Just a wave from the driveway, and they were off into the unknown.

We will all adjust in time, I suppose. I am going to see if I can have lunch with the first graders once in a while after things settle down a bit.

I should be celebrating the fact that I can now get my studio set up, start doing some artwork, sign up for some blacksmithing classes, do some felting, look into the artfair scene, etc. etc.

Tomorrow for sure! I needed my whack out time today :-)

11 comments:

Diane said...

Dear Sarah,

Anne Adams said that she felt really a strange liberation by putting her kids on the bus at such an early hour and then having them deposited near the house in the afternoon. Not like it is at Dawes with the walk to and from school. I think in the end, they do a combination of bus and being driven to school. Hope you're feeling better. What is the name of their school?

sarahzona said...

I think I could feel that way eventually, when everyone is a little more settled:)It will be nice when they hook up with some other kids at school. It is heart wrenching to hear Max talk about eating by himself and playing on the playground alone, but I know he will make friends fast.
I will probably pick them up once in a while as well, so we can do after school field trips! School is out at 2:00.
Camp Verde Elementary is the name of the school.

Diane said...

Yes, I can only imagine the pangs of "oh Jeez" in your heart when you heard he had to eat alone. Once they get wind of how cool of a kid he is, he'll be right in on everything, I'm sure, and very quickly. Helder (my huz) had to move around the country (and world) at least 6 times and it's survive-able--actually, he thrived at many places. (Portugal, DC, Chicago, New York, Chicago) How far away is the school? At least you won't have to contend with snow. CVE doesn't realize that they've won the parent lottery with you in their ranks!

My blogsite is:

http://www.edgeof47.blogspot.com

if you want to check it out.
Best,

Diane

Robin said...

OMIGosh! I can't believe school started already! What a jip.
Anyway, I know the boys will get on famously with the kids soon..
Hang in there!

sarahzona said...

I am hangin' away! I know everything will work the way it's supposed to. Nobody got lost yesterday, and they both talked to people at lunch. Progress!!!

Diane said...

Glad to hear there's progress on the school front.

How's the kitchen rehab going?

sarahzona said...

The cabinets and appliances are in. We still need to do the flooring, which will happen throughtout the main living area and kitchen at once. Since the kids are in school, things ought to speed up a bit :) Pics soon!

Robin said...

When can I come for coffee???? I totally miss you..
sniff.

sarahzona said...

Anytime!! I just found Sedona Coffee Roasters last week, so I'm all set with beans. I have not done any roasting yet-too hot.
MISS YOU TOO!

SueA said...

Sarah, believe it or not, my kids have been taking the bus to Lincolnwood (3 blocks away) since they were in kindergarten. They actually prefer it to walking most days. I remember feeling anxious, though, when they get on for the first time.

sarahzona said...

I think everyone is over the 'bus anxiety' now :) They are wrestling after school now, and I'm sort of annoyed that I have to pick them up ( who knew?)