Tuesday, August 28, 2007

This is my extremely feeble attempt at photographing the Lunar eclipse last night. I knew it wouldn't turn out without a big ole' zoom lens, but I had to give it a shot. I woke up at about midnight to see light from the full moon shining in the bedroom like a street light was outside the window(aren't any in Camp Verde). The whole view from our window was visible, there were a few stars out, and not a cloud in the sky. Then at about 2:00am, I woke again to see the beginning of the eclipse. Very cool, so I had to get the camera and wake up Max, who had shown a little interest in seeing it. At that point it looked like a crescent shaped piece was missing from the full moon. We gazed for a few minutes and went back to bed(it's a school night).
Well, Max, Doug and I have a lovely cold, so Max started up with the coughing since he was awake. I can't get to sleep when I know he is awake, so about twenty minutes later I get up again a) to give Max some water, and b) to see what's going on with the moon. Now it is about three fourths eclipsed and all orange and cool looking, so I get Max out of bed to come see and click some pics. One actually-my camera wasn't behaving and I couldn't see enough to fix it.
There are tons of stars now, since the moon is not giving off so much light anymore. Max can't believe how much more of the moon is dark now, and tells me it is supposed to be fully eclipsed for over an hour. As much as I would have liked to pull up a chair and watch for awhile, school and colds force us back into bed.
At about five, I got up again to see what was going on, but the moon was behind the Mulberry tree on it's way into our mountain horizon.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

TomC said...

Very Cool...some of my best memories in Arizona are of watching the night sky.

The time that I remember best was there was a meteor shower and like you we were up at 2am looking up at the sky.

It was like seeing a shooting star, but lots of them !!

There were no kids yet so we actually got out a few blankets (it was winter), made coffee, and went out in the yard and stayed awhile.

kidfrost740 said...

i miss u guys that eclipse is so kewl
this is the whitmore tribe